Make up short crust pastry for the base and grease the deep dish tray and line with crust.
Short Crust Pastry
1 ½ cup flour
2 tbsp sugar
½ tsp salt
½ cup butter
¼ cold water
1. Mix flour, sugar, salt and butter together
2. Add in the cold water and combine into a ball
3. Wrap in cling film and place in fridge for half an hour
4. Once chilled remove from fridge and turn out onto floured surface
5. Roll the dough into the shape you desire to fit the greased dish.
6. If you are blind baking for a recipe, poke a few holes in the bottom with a fork and place grease proof paper on top of the pastry and pour baking beads in to keep the dough from rising in the oven.
7. Place in a warm oven at 180 for 15- 20 min until crust is hardened.
Using this as a base you can make a verity of different tarts, pies, and desserts.
3 cups sweet potato puree
1 cup caster sugar
1 ½ tsp of cinnamon
1 ½ tsp all spice
1 ½ tsp glove
½ tsp salt
½ tsp ginger
4 large eggs
1 ½ cans of condensed milk
½ tsp of vanilla extract
You can either use a whole pumpkin or tin bought puree
1. If using a whole pumpkin, remove stake, cut in half and remove seeds
2. You can cook the sweet potato 2 ways oven or microwave
3. Oven: Place onto baking tray and cut sides up
1. Place into warm oven at 180 degrees C for 45 – 90 min depending on size. It will be done when the skin comes away easily
2. Once this happens remove from oven and allow to cool
3. Remove all skin and place the meat of the sweet potato into a food processor and blend into a puree
4. Microwave: place into on high heat for 8-15 min on a microwave proof dish
5. Once cooked follow the same instructions as removing from the oven
6. Once you have the puree your ready to start
7. Mix all the ingredients together in a mixing bowl and combine well
8. Once combined pour into baked prepared pie crust, spreading mixture evenly
9. Place into warm oven at 200 degrees C for 15 min, then reduce heat to 175 degrees C for 45 – 60 min until firm but soft to touch
10. Once baked remove and allow to cool
You can serve with sweetened sour cream